Thursday, July 3, 2008

TL002 Tenor Long Scale Ukulele
Materials and Preparation

The TL002 Tenor Long Scale Ukulele is intended to be made using all Australian native timber species for the main components. I sourced the various parts for this ukulele from a range of places, and I think the tonewoods that have been selected will combine to create a beautiful ukulele that will be suited to a strumming style of play.

For the soundboard, back, sides, and neck, I chose to use Tasmanian Blackwood. I went to Guitar Woods at Botany to personally select the Blackwood pieces for this ukulele, as well as many other parts for different ukulele projects. I selected two nice medium figured bookmatched pieces of Blackwood that were long enough to cut three back/soundboard pieces out of, so I have ended up with one spare back. I also selected a pair of endmatched sides, for this ukulele and a large beautifully figured Blackwood block that I have re-sawn into two tenor neck blanks.


Blackwood soundboard/back plates, and Blackwood sides
.
The two pieces that were cut down for the back and soundboard are generally a light brown colour with dark brown streaks running through them. They have a medium flame figure, which is most obvious in the centre of the back. Even though the raw Blackwood pieces were quite thick at about 6 mm to start with, they had a lovely sweet ringing tap tone.

I chose a Gidgee guitar fretboard from Australian Luthier Supplies that was then cut down for the TL002 Tenor Long Scale Ukulele fretboard and bridge. Like the Blackwood, Gidgee is a native Australian timber species from the Acacia family. The fretboard blank that I ended up with is a beautiful chocolate brown colour that should match well with the Tasmanian Blackwood body.
.

Gidgee blank for fretboard and bridge
.
The bindings for this ukulele are Tasmanian ‘Tiger’ Myrtle which I ordered from Tim Spittle at Australian Tonewoods in Western Australia. I have also used this timber as the rosette inlay for this ukulele. Most of the remaining components such as bracing, fretwire, marker dots, nut, saddle, tuners etc, came from Asa Chock at Hana Lima ‘Ia in Honolulu.

No comments: